Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions

When a child first begins school the amount of information presented to parents can seem daunting, especially if their child has SEND. We have published a number of FAQs posted by parents relating to our school and SEND provision.

How can I find out what schools, social care and health should be providing for my child?

A SEND code of practice has been published and this sets out how decisions should be made for children and young adults with SEND. This is statutory guidance and all schools, local authorities and health providers must have regard to it when providing for SEND children/young adults. A link to the Code of Practice document is available at the bottom of this page.

What specialist services are available at your school to meet my child’s needs?

We work with an extensive range of services and professionals to ensure we meet the needs of each individual child. We encourage these professionals to visit school as often as possible to work with our staff and share their expertise. Wherever possible, staff implement programmes of work linked to these professionals e.g. speech and language programmes, exercises recommended by occupational therapies etc.

What training do staff supporting children with SEND have?

Members of staff have Paediatric First Aid and Safeguarding Level 1/2 qualification. In addition, our SEND support staff have a selection of training relating to Movement Difficulties Programmes and specific training from Speech and Language Therapists. Please see section on How we identify and support children with SEN.

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom including school trips?

We ensure that all children are offered the opportunity to participate with activities outside of the classroom by making reasonable adjustments to the organisation of these. For example, we ensure SEND children have an appropriate level of adult support if going out of school, we organise transport that provides appropriate access and staff complete a comprehensive risk assessment of any excursion to ensure all children are safe and included. In addition, our SEND children are given the opportunity to participate in visits to settings that meet their specific needs e.g. sensory play.

How are parents involved with your school?

We are fully committed to encouraging parents to be involved with all aspects of school life. We welcome parents into school at the beginning and end of a school day and they are welcome to arrange additional dates to meet with the teacher to discuss progress and provision. Parents are invited in to an assembly to see their child presented with the Headteacher award.

The SENCO and Learning Support Assistant run speech and language sessions for parents. These sessions are then extended and offered to parents and children on a one to one basis.


Can my child attend Acre Rigg Infant School and then move to Special School Provision?

Children with SEND that have been issued with an Education, Health and Care plan can attend Acre Rigg Infant school for their Primary education. When considering the move to the academy, a child can then be assessed for Special School if a parent wished them to attend this type of setting. At any point in a child’s education, the placement can be reviewed. Regular reviews will support in the planning of the appropriate setting for a child.